Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We Have a Duck!

Yesterday we went for a walk and when we came back I was showing Carrie my flowers. When we were done looking, she stepped back quickly, and a huge duck flew out of the bush behind her. It startled her and we all watched as it flew away as fast as it could go. I said, "why was there a duck hiding in our bush?" and Carrie said, "maybe it was laying eggs." I laughed at her as I went to peek in the bush, and sure enough, we had Duck eggs!
The first night we saw only one egg buried in a pile of feathers. We watched most of the night and hoped that the mommy duck would come back, but we didn't see her return.
This morning I was worried about the egg, so I went to check on it and saw four more. It was a whole feathery nest full of eggs.
Mid-morning Andy came in to tell me that he'd checked again and she was back. It was hard to get a good picture because I didn't want to startle her, but you can see her hiding in the daffodils.
We were so happy that she had come back for her babies. It will be fun to see how the process unfolds and what she does with her ducklings once they arrive.