Wednesday, December 10, 2008

St. Nicholas Day (A Few Days Late)

One of my favorite traditions while living in Germany was St. Nicholas Day. It falls on December 6th, and children leave their shoes outside their bedroom door, at the end of their bed, by the fireplace, or wherever else and then St. Nicholas comes during the night and leaves little gifts and treats inside. I have always looked forward to celebrating the holiday with my own children, and this year was my first chance.

We were a bit late because our house has been cluttered with boxes, making it feel less than festive. Today the festivities came and went with much less enthusiasm than I had hoped for, but maybe next year St. Nicholas will do a bit better than the dollar store on December 5th, and my boys will be more appreciate of the suave European culture I am introducing to our home.