Sunday, May 15, 2011

Life is But a Drink...

Tonight we were outside on the deck, soaking up the last bits of sunshine as the kids splashed in the water table, when Calvin started singing:

"Row row row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a drink."

I giggled and said, "it's not DRINK, it's DREAM"

He just looked at me like I was an idiot, and said, "no mom, life is like a DRINK."

I thought about it, and decided maybe drink is better after all. Lately the boy has been having a lot of nightmares. I think it's because his imagination has kicked into high gear, but it's been sad to see him so scared to go to bed at night, and have him wake up screaming. He used to go to bed with a pile of stuffed animals, but now he won't let anything with a face near his bed. He told me about a dream where the talking Nala was trying to get him, so his once beloved Simba and Nala stuffed animals have spent the last few weeks banished to the basement. Even pillows with cartoon characters are out.

So I guess since he has negative feelings about dreams these days, and since he knows that everyone likes a good drink, it makes total sense. Plus dreams aren't always within our power to control, but what we drink definitely is. Yeah, I think I like his take on it. Life is but a drink.

When we came inside, the boy and the girl sat on the counter contentedly eating chips and salsa.


And the girl has a new found fixation with Calvin's underwear. She can be seen on a daily basis looking like this:

1 comment:

MaryRuth said...

awww... I miss those two. A thousand times a day (literally) Buddy asks for CalivnAutumn. All one name of course.

miss you guys!