Monday, May 16, 2011

University Library Day

Today I had to hand in my final assignment of the semester, so I took the kids with me to campus. After visiting my building and running around the halls, we went to the library with a list of books to check out.

Calvin's requests were David Shannon's books, or as he calls them, The Other No, David! Books. While I'm not sure that I like that every time we read them Calvin says, "Mom, he's a stinker just like me!" I do like that they are simple enough that he can read parts of them, and they also have a lot of punctuation marks that Calvin likes to discuss. He especially loves question marks and exclamation marks. The others on his list were those in the series of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Is it too early for my kid to be fascinated by angst ridden trouble makers?

First we looked at the library murals:
Then the boy pulled books off of the shelf while I found the ones we had come for as fast as I could:
We went home with a much bigger stack than we had come for.

Autumn would grab a book and run off as fast as she could:
And we would find her crouched in the little carrels looking at pictures:
Then I tried to keep up with them as I juggled the big stack of books while they would run ahead and hide in doorways or under stairs:
They had fun and I enjoyed the blissful freedom that comes with finishing up a semester. Too bad tomorrow morning I'm on a plane to a conference. 4/20

No comments: