Thursday, May 29, 2008

An Early Birthday

Even though my birthday is a month away, my mom insisted on celebrating it while we are in town and before they leave the country. We went up the canyon for a picnic, and had a fantastic time playing bocce, frisbee, Pooh Sticks (Winnie the Pooh fans will know), making smores, eating good food, opening fun presents, listening to Carrie's explanation of who "S.C. Hammer" was, and how he sang "can't touch that" in the early 90's, and just enjoying each other's company. I posted a lot of pictures, I know, but I left out dozens more. It was a perfect evening and I can't remember a birthday I've ever enjoyed more. Here are some highlights:

Maria blowing dandelions.

The boys playing bocce ball.

Calvin trying to steal my strawberry shortcake.


All of us at the picnic table.
Calvin couldn't have been more excited about all of the water. We let him play a little bit in the river running through the park.

More water time.

Roasting Marshmallows.

Maria became very attached to a tiny green caterpillar that she found. She was devastated when she put him down for a couple of minutes and he crawled away.

Playing Pooh Sticks on the bridge. (My mom NEVER stops working. She can't even bring herself to take her apron off for an evening outdoors.)

Andy and Jared with their kids on their shoulders.

Aysha, Aby, and Maria wearing the cowgirl shirts that Auntie Ruthie made them.

Me, Andy, and Calvin at the picnic table.

Curtis using a frisbee to fan the flames for Smores.

One big happy family. (We miss you David, Bek, and Joey!!!)