Monday, June 16, 2008

Enjoying a Good Book



Eric Carle has always been one of my favorite children's authors because his stories are simple yet interesting, and his illustrations are funky and unorthodox. Just before Calvin was born, I was roaming Barnes & Noble when I found some small Eric Carle board books, so I bought several of them with the baby in mind.

I have started reading to Calvin more often since I quit work, and he seems to really enjoy the pictures and listening to the sound of me reading, even if he doesn't understand the stories yet. His favorite book at the moment is Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar - a book about a caterpillar who eats through dozens of fruits and sweets before becoming a butterfly, and each picture of the food item has a hole through it where the caterpillar has chewed its way out. Calvin loves it because his tiny pointer finger fits perfectly in the hole as we count the bites together. He thinks it's so wonderful that this book was made specifically for his mini fingers. Reading with him has become a favorite time for both of us, and I'm glad the world has so many fun books for him to discover. He's destined to love reading, just like his parents.