Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Study in Diapers

I've never thought much about diapers besides that they're expensive, bad for the environment, and that I'm extremely grateful for them. I remember my mom painstakingly rinsing cloth diapers when I was little, and that's definitely not my thing. I have learned two very important lessons about diapers in the last couple of weeks.

1- Diapers are VERY absorbent. In fact, they will keep soaking up moisture until they explode and release slippery little white balls of gel all over your swimming pool, deck, and child. Swimmers (waterproof diapers you can buy for kids to swim in) seem unnecessary until you have some such experience and realize that there is a reason to pay the $20 for 8 stupid blue diapers with Nemo on the front.

2- With that said, however, I have learned that Swimmers also have their flaws. They are very nonabsorbent, obviously so they don't soak up the entire pool. Unfortunately, while playing in the grandparent's pool, we learned the hard way that they really don't soak up enough. We picked up Calvin in his little Swimmer and it left a trail of clumpy yellow sauce all over me, Andy, all of our towels, and in a squiggly line through the middle of the pool.

I've learned to use things as they are designed. Now I know not to put regular diapers in the pool, and to tell the kid to wait to do any monkey business until after he's done swimming. These are some shots from today.

Regular Diaper
Wet diaper that weighs about 30 pounds - can you tell the difference? Calvin can't even sit up when it's this full. Pretty funny to watch.