Friday, October 24, 2008

Alone Time

Today the boy was the orneriest thing ever, from 7:30am - 8pm. So in order to revisit happier days, I entertained myself with memories of a few days ago. I think most moms will tell you that one thing that goes when you have a kid is any sense of privacy. Especially since Calvin loves playing in the toilet these days, every time he hears the bathroom door open and close, he crawls as fast as he can and spends the whole time you're in there banging on the door and either jabbering or whining, depending on his mood. It's an even bigger disaster if I let him in.

However, the other day as I was in there looking for a bit of peace, Calvin crawled up to the door as expected, but instead of banging to get in, he slid a toy underneath the door. I pushed it back out, and there was a slight pause before he pushed it right back in. In and out, in and out, and on and on we went. He was getting very intense about the game. Sometimes the little block would fly in quickly and almost hit the opposite wall. Every time I pushed it out, he responded immediately and pushed it back in.

As we played, I was thinking how much I wish I had pictures of his tiny little fingers poking in and out through the crack at the bottom of the door. It was one of those weird times when your heart aches for the simplicity of the magic in that little moment. Imagine my happiness when two days after the event, I looked at the camera, and found that Andy had taken pictures of the outside from Calvin's perspective. I love them. I think they would make the perfect flip book.