Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Taste of Fall...

I'm boycotting fall this year. For several reasons that I may or may not go into at a later date. It's my favorite time of year and I'm usually pretty hard core about fall in general and Halloween in particular. Not this year though, my heart just isn't in it.

One thing I haven't been able to avoid about the season though is the crisp fall air. We dress up cozy and go for long walks, play on the swings, watch vultures eating squirrels, that kind of thing. It almost makes me want to come to life for the season - but my head ultimately prevails over my heart, and I go back to being Scrooge. Here's a picture of Calvin in his Mercersburg Academy sweatshirt that he got from his grandparents. He loves its fuzzy fleeciness, and this is how happy he was after one of our walks yesterday. He has been so much fun lately.

All of my decorations, my party ideas, my perfect pumpkin candle that Andy and I spent weeks looking for as we sampled the scent of dozens everywhere we went, and my little WS pumpkin pans and Halloween cookie cutters will all have to wait until next year. At least this year, I have the sweetest, snuggliest, most edible little creature around to make sure I get outside and enjoy at least the best parts of the season.