Monday, March 9, 2009

How I know I'm getting Old

Andy and I have been taking a gardening class every Saturday. It's a 6 week course that started with PH levels of soil and how to manipulate the minerals and chemicals to make growth most effective, then we talked about watering and fertilizing, and now we're discussing specific fruits and vegetables in home gardens. There are very very few of us young uns' in there. Mostly it's retired couples who actually have time to garden. It's an awesome class though. Somehow it manages to be incredibly fascinating and mind-numbingly boring all at the same time. Although giving up half of every Saturday isn't great, I'm glad to learn what's being taught and we've already started implementing a lot of what we've learned.
  • Saturday we fertilized all of our fruit trees and perennials. We learned that if you spread the fertilizer (a very specific mix) OVER the snow, it will melt into the ground with the snow and you don't have to worry about trying to water it in evenly.
  • Today I planted Swiss Chard. I've never eaten it before, but the teacher swears it's the most delicious green he's ever tasted. It's like spinach, only with a sweet lettucey taste. We're experimenting.
  • This weekend we're going to turn over our garden plot and get ready to plant our early crops next week.
So the reason I know I'm getting old? These days all I can think about is gardening. I dream about it. All day long I gaze out at the snow covered garden and imagine what will soon be growing. It's lame I know, but I am beyond excited that this year we're going to have all of our own fresh produce and herbs. I can't even wait.

Oh yeah, and next week we'll be in Florida. I think about THAT a lot too.

What else do old people think about besides gardening and Florida?