Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wanderlust

I love my life. I can't imagine anything better than what I have and am 98.5% content with everything around me. Unfortunately there's this part of me that can't let things go. I always want to do things or be things or go places that don't always make sense in my current situation. Luckily I'm married to the perfect man for me because 1-He feels the same way, and 2-He is supportive of anything and everything I ever want to try. I love him for that.

So lately I've had a lot of different things I've been trying to work on that seem silly when I have so many other things I need to do in life. Being a wife and a mother is enough for me. It's what I love and who I am. But there are things about who I was BEFORE that I can't quite walk away from just yet.

One of these silly things that doesn't make sense is that a few weeks ago I submitted a proposal of a research paper to a writer's conference in the fall. I've never done it before, so I thought I would practice and hone the skill and someday it would benefit me. I never expected anything to come of it. Well yesterday I received a letter inviting me to participate in the conference and present my paper in November at a convention in St. Louis. I will be on a panel of four other people, all presenting different topics within the same genre. The proposal I submitted - not my area of study and definitely not something I am an expert in or feel confident with. However, I couldn't be more excited. I love the whole nerdy world of academia and I love that I get to have my name printed on the program and my paper sent to attendees and be all puffed up and conceited about how I got picked when others didn't. Andy's going to come with me and it's going to be the best time ever, I just know it!