Thursday, May 28, 2009

Trains

I noticed today how much my life has changed while I was out running some errands. I had Calvin strapped in behind me playing with a toy in his car seat when we approached the railroad tracks and noticed the red lights blinking and the arms lowering, forbidding us to pass. As we heard the not far off sound of the horn blowing, the boy dropped what he was doing, pointed at the coming train, and kept yelling "ain!" over and over again in excitement. As he sat in the back watching it pass and saying his version of "choo choo!", I remembered how much I used to hate train crossings. I would be so annoyed that they would take 5 minutes out of my busy day when I had to stop and let them pass. Now I love it. I see it through the eyes of a little boy who loves trains and it's the highlight of my day.

The boy has adored his train table since he got it, but lately he loves the little trains independent of the table and always has one clutched in each fist wherever he goes. Even at bed time he does not appreciate me trying to take them away. He drives them over every possible surface (one of his favorite surfaces being the head of anyone low enough for him to reach).

A month or so ago we put a big cozy reading chair in our little kitchen sitting area and it is one of Calvin's favorite spots. He can literally stay in the chair for hours, running his trains up and down the sides and back of the chair. Here are some pictures I snapped of him the other day after his bath.

2 comments:

Smith Clan said...

Little boys open up a whole new world of exciting things. I can now tell the difference between a backhoe, an excavator, and a bulldozer. What a feat for a girl with NO brothers! I love Calvin's spikey hair.

Aren't you glad that I can leave comments now? Ha ha ha ha ha!

Emma said...

Just for you, Hannah Baby!