Monday, August 11, 2008

Color is Tricky

Two more rooms finished. Both of them were a little outside of my normal neutral color palette. One turned out, one not so much.

Room One:
So for this one, I was going for a calming, serene, spa-like, nature induced peaceful feeling green. What it turned out as was more of an Easter bunny vomit green. A colored pastel egg gone bag. I added blacks and darker olive greens in an attempt to give it balance, but overall I don't like the bathroom at all. We decided to redo it down the road when we're not so tired of renovation projects.
I don't really like this tile because it has a decidedly pink tint to it. It's especially bad with the green color. Andy did a lot of research and picked beautiful faucets and shower head in brushed nickel, and we went all crazy and got the curved shower rod that really does make you feel like you have a lot more space.

We put in a new sink faucet, and a light fixture that we found on clearance at Pottery Barn. The cabinet we kept, I just painted it black and then sanded the edges to give it a weathered look. Added some knobs, and it looks like a completely different sink.

Prints from a biology textbook, framed in simple black frames. This is to remind people that the ambiance is all about nature, and not about Easter.

New toilet, new dark moss towels, more green paint.

Room Two:
This room I love. It's my craft room, and I wanted something bold. I was a bit nervous about the color, but once the accents were in, it felt like a room I wanted to spend time in. Probably not everyone's thing.

I made the curtains because I wanted something soft and sheer, but couldn't find anything that fit what I was going for. Took the filing cabinet I already had and spray painted it black to match everything else.

This desk and chair Andy did his usual crazy amount of research to find the perfect ones. They are both very cozy and I'm grateful he cared.

I've had these funky prints for a while and I really like them. I took the wall color from the background on those. This is the sewing machine that Andy's parents gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I love it.

For this wall I taped off a square and painted it with magnetic paint. I had intended to paint over it, but the black and yellow contrast looked so good that I left the taped portion (previous wall color) as a border, threw on some magnets, and it was perfect.

Black bookshelves from Target for my paper stuff.

I stole this idea from Martha. I went to a thrift store and found as many different looking jars as possible to display brushes, paint, and random office supplies. I like how it turned out.

It's hard to tell from the pictures the exact color of both of the rooms, and how they feel when you're in them, but it gives you a general idea. I've definitely learned a few things for the next time around.