Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Heart Beats

I say "I love you" all the time to Andy and Calvin. Maybe it's annoying that I say it over and over, but I always think if you feel it, you should say it. Andy always half-heartedly and distractedly responds, "I love you too" in exactly the same intonation every time. The other day I called him on it. I said, "I really mean it when I say it. You're just flippant and say it because you feel like it's a requirement". I've always felt like Andy has a little bit of a disadvantage because he doesn't have any sisters. Sisters cry and fight and teach you all of the things you should and shouldn't say to a girl. Without sisters, you're like 15 years behind when you enter the dating game.

So after my spiel about being flippant, Andy stopped (we were pushing the stroller down the street), looked me in the eye, and said "I don't say 'I love you' all the time because I feel like it's implicit. My heart beats, my lungs breathe, I love Emma. I have no choice." It made me laugh out loud - dang, he's getting smooth. I like to think I taught him that.